Massimo De Carlo is pleased to announce the opening of the new headquarters in Milan, situated in Viale Lombardia 17, the building known as Casa Corbellini-Wasserman, which was built in the early 1930s (1934-1936) by the renowned Italian architect Piero Portaluppi (19 March 1888 – 6 July 1967). After undergoing a philological restoration curated by the architects Studio Binocle with the collaboration of Antonio Citterio and achieved with the supervision of the Superintendent bureau for Architectural and Urban Landscaping in Milan, this historical landmark - that was first a family home and then hosted the offices of a bank, and has been empty since 2001 - will be open to the public under the gallery’s ownership for the first time in its history.
UNTIL APRIL 20, 2019
Massimo De Carlo gallery was founded in Milano in 1987. Since the beginning Massimo De Carlo gallery program included young and prominent artists such as, among others, Alighiero Boetti, Rudolf Stingel, Maurizio Cattelan, and Yan Pei-Ming. The global affirmation of these and the other artists of the gallery has favoured its on-going success.
For 30 years Massimo De Carlo has been playing a fundamental role in bringing the most interesting voices of international art to the Italian scene, and Italian artists into the global arena. This contributed to the promotion and establishment of a vital dialogue between the artists and national and international institutions, encouraging relationships between galleries, critics, curators, and collectors.
Throughout the years, the gallery’s artists have been shown in international museums and biennials, and thus obtained an outstanding place into important public and private art collections.
This exhibition space, the second Massimo De Carlo venue in Milan, is situated in Palazzo Belgioioso in the historical centre of Milan. Palazzo Belgioioso is situated in the homonymous elegant piazza, a corner of archetypal neoclassical Milanese architecture, just around the corner from Piazza del Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala.
The spectacular palazzo that houses this new gallery was completed in 1787 by Giuseppe Piermarini, who also designed La Scala Theatre.
Massimo De Carlo opened his first space in central London in 2009 under the name Carlson Gallery.
Together with working with the artists traditionally represented by the gallery, the London space has also based its program on the work of young American artists.
Given the importance of this marketplace and the facility of contacts and business compared to the rest of Europe, in 2012 Massimo De Carlo moved to a second major venue in London in South Audley Street. The gallery - renamed Massimo De Carlo, London - is a traditional old-style British three-floor townhouse in the central area of Mayfair.
Massimo De Carlo inaugurated his new gallery in Hong Kong in March 2016. The gallery is located in the Pedder Building in Central.
After many years of operating on the Asian territory, both in Mainland China and Hong Kong - including an on-going role on the selection committee board of Art Basel Hong Kong - Massimo De Carlo started this new venture in China aiming to become part of its developing contemporary cultural landscape.
The new space in Hong Kong is Massimo De Carlo’s third venue. The Hong Kong gallery inaugurates the year before the 30th anniversary of Massimo De Carlo gallery.